Stretch marks are a problem most people face in their lifetime. Though they are not harmful to your body, they do affect people’s self-confidence because of how they look. They are narrow streaks or lines that develop on your skin. It is a scar that develops typically when the skin stretches or shrinks suddenly. When the skin stretches suddenly or shrinks it causes changes in collagen and elastin in the skin, this creates the stretch marks. Some of the common reasons that one could get stretch marks to include the following:
Why do Stretch marks appear?
- When you are pregnant
- A discussion about the treatments and determine which products will improve your skin quality
- Sudden weight loss or gain;
- Weight training
- Rapid muscle growth
- Corticosteroid creams, lotions, and pills that decrease the ability of the skin to stretch
- Certain gland disorders
- Have a family history of stretch marks
Stretch marks can appear as long narrow streaks or stripes. They can be different for different people. How it looks and how it responds to treatment is specific to different people. They typically can be red, pink, purplish-blue, reddish-brown or dark brown, depending on skin color. They can be thin, look like scars or look pale in comparison to the rest of the skin.
Typically, they appear on body parts like the arms, back, breasts, buttocks, hips, shoulders, thighs, abdomen, flank, stomach or torso. They often appear and fade over a period of time, and fade faster when treated appropriately. They do not usually pose any long-term health risks. It is also believed that stretch marks can be reduced and treated but there is no guarantee that you can get rid of them entirely. Additionally, it is important to remember that the sooner you get to treating the stretch marks, it makes it that much easier to actually heal the marks easier.
How to treat Stretch Marks?
When you have stretch marks on your body there are a host of things that you can do. You can try using home remedies, use over the counter lotions and creams and consult dermatologists that provide a host of solutions to help reduce scars and stretch marks.
- Chemical peel: If one wonders does chemical peel removes stretch marks, the short answer is yes. This means that it will reduce it as specified before. It cannot be completely eradicated as mentioned before. However, consulting a good dermatologist becomes of primary importance. A good dermatologist can analyze your skin and skin type and provide the right kind of solutions.
- Laser therapy: This is a therapy where the outer layer of the skin is removed to restructure it. In this procedure beams of light are passed through the skin to encourage new growth. It certainly helps reduce the visibility of stretch marks. While determining the dermatologist it is important to keep in mind stretch marks removal laser cost in India. The cost will be determined by the experience and expertise of the dermatologist.
- Microdermabrasion: This is a painless procedure that helps reduce stretch marks. They particularly work well with white stretch marks. It tightens collagen and elastin fibers in the skin by stimulating it. This is a procedure that may be needed to be repeated over a period of time for the best results. After the procedure, the skin tends to feel tighter.
- Microneedling: This is a procedure that targets the middle layer of your skin. Tiny needles are inserted to increase the production of collagen. This regenerates the skin and reduces stretch marks. This remedy particularly works with people with dark skin.
- Radiofrequency: This procedure uses radiofrequency to improve stretch marks. The frequency is sent to deeper layers of the skin and makes the skin smoother and tones the skin. It helps improve blood flow and increases oxygen supply. Additionally, it clears toxins from the body.
- Ultrasound: This therapy helps reduce stretch marks, better the skin elasticity, lessen scars, reduce cellulite and more. It also helps reduce pain and reduce stiffness. The machine is used in the area in a circular motion to help reduce scars and stretch marks.
- Cosmetic Surgery: This as extreme as a step as it may be, is considered a very effective option to remove stretch marks from the body permanently. However, this is an expensive treatment option. It is important to remember that as much as stretch marks may be removed, the surgery itself could lead to new scars.
Finally, despite all the options available, there is truth in the fact that prevention is better than cure. Therefore, there are little things that you can do to avoid stretch marks, to begin with. Some things you can do is to ensure that you have a balanced diet, drink six to eight glasses of water a day, avoid crash diets, and talk to your doctors about weight gain and loss during pregnancy. Doing this not only helps you avoid or minimize stretch marks but also helps you feel healthy and live a healthy vibrant life.